Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Sunday

Today we were excited to go to church to be with others to celebrate and sing Chrismtas songs together. We weren't disappointed. The morning service was about Love, the last of the themes in the advent season. The community here is very friendly and happy. :)
After church we headed to our new favourite brunch buffet restaurant - Big Rock. And we were ecstatic to see a hockey game playing on the screens and TV's! They were playing Vancouver Canucks/Coyotes game LIVE!! I was so excited and apparently they play the games every weekend. (I don't know why it wasn't on last week...). They play the Eastern game feed too, but only the 3rd period and it's during church! I may have a tough descion on my hands if there's a Habs/Leafs Saturday night game now...haha.
After this fun was over it was soon time to head back to the church for their Chrismtas gala!! Members of the church sang songs, Christmas carols, and there was a small string group that sounded so beautiful. Shauna was crying pretty much the whole time!! haha. It was very sweet and absolutely made us miss home and love the Christmas season all at once! I was able to hold back the tears until this group of four women started singing an acapella song called "Christmas is a Time to Love" which, my family will know, is one of our favourite songs from a Christmas tape we've had forever!! We sing it all together in the car on our trips to church. SO, needless to say, I started bawling and then when I managed to tell the other girls why, I had them all crying in a matter of seconds-even Katy! :) Sorry girls...
Well, I'm back at the apartment now and just writing some Christmas cards for my co-teachers. Hope you all have a great Christmas Sunday!
ps. Mom and Dad - I hope you guys have been listening to the tape this year...

6 comments:

Shana said...

you big babies! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetheart!
We were driving to church this morning & I was looking through the glove compartment & drawer under the seat for that tape. I didn't find it. Now I will have to look by the radio & CD player. How wonderful that you found a great church with a wonderful Christmas service!! We will be having a CandleLight service tonight that we are looking forward to. We love you LOTS and really miss you. I am SOOOO disapointed your parcel has not arrived. :( We will be thinking of you all the time in the next days. Love and Hugs to you all!!!
Love Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen. I love the pictures! The one that you 'painted' on was great! Glad to hear you are getting into the Christmas spirit. We had our family celebration on Saturday. Now we are looking forward to Boxing day. We will miss you! Uncle Andrew and I sang in the choir yesterday, and tonight we are in an octette, and Rachel will play her trumpet in the Christmas Eve service. We wish you a blessed Christmas and all God's richest blessings for the new year.
Love from Aunt Jennifer
p.s. - keep checking the mail...

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Hey Karen,

That was a very cool story, thanks for sharing it. I know it will be hard to be away from your family on Christmas but I hope that you all are able to clebrate together in some way and be family for each other this year.

Know that you are in our prayers and thoughts.

Ron Donkersloot

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
We wish you a special Christmas with your "family" out there this year. We are thinking about you and praying for you always and especially during these days. The kids and I went to visit Aunt Diane and Uncle John and Jeff and Daniel for 24 hours; it was a nice visit together. Now we are looking forward to 2 days here together with the 4 of us.
take care sweetie,
love you lots,
aunt annette and uncle rob
steph and mike too

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Karen. Great to read about how you are making special memories there too. Music does 'touch the soul' and we are glad you experienced that with friends around.
Makes us wonder how you will celebrate New Year's Eve?!! Enjoy. God's blessings to you now and throughout all 2008! Love, Aunt Diane, Uncle John, Jeff and Dan.